Recipe by: annacookingconcept.com
- 250g eggplants cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp sweet pepper
- 200g cooked chickpeas
- 2tbsp fresh coriander see notes for substitution
- 1/4cup tomato cut into small cubes
- 1tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp pomegranate molasses
Yogurt & tahini sauce:
- 3cups fresh Lebanese plain yogurt laban
- 5tbsp tahini
- 1garlic clove minced
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 1/2tsp lemon juice
- 1/4tsp white pepper
- 1medium Arabic brown pitta bread
- 1/2cup toasted pine nuts or almonds
- chopped parsley
- toasted pine nuts or almonds
- cumin powder
- pomegranate seedsoptional
- start by cutting the eggplants into cubes , wash and drain well!
- season the cubes with salt and let it sit for around 30 min , this will help the eggplant get rid of the extra bitter taste . after the 30 minutes wash them thoroughly and with a clean kitchen towel pat them to dry.
- in a large bowl , mix the eggplant with the chickpeas,cumin powder, sweet pepper, fresh coriander, tomato cubes and olive oil. mix gently with a spatula everything together until all the chickpeas and eggplants cubes are coated with the oil and seasoning.
- I prepared my eggplant mixture in the air-fryer but you can totally prepare it in oven: Pour the eggplant mixture in the air-fryer pan and cook on high-heat (level 4) for 15 minutes flipping each 5 minutes so they crisp evenly. timing depend on the air-fryer you are using it is always better to cook 5 minutes at the time and check and add time accordingly , you should have a golden brown crispy little cubes at the end . (for oven version see notes)
- after the eggplant mixture is done , put in a glass bowl add the pomegranate molasses and mix it thoroughly until everything is coated and set aside for assembly later .
- in a deep bowl add all the yogurt ingredients and whisk together till you have a smooth yogurt dressing.(check notes for extra adding and flavors)
- I usually cut my bread into cubes same size as the eggplant and toast in a 200 C ° preheated oven for 10 minutes turning mid-way. I use the oven so I can toasted them while cooking the eggplant and preparing the dressing so everything is cooking at the same time (time management hack